
This weekend's selection of quotes are in honour of Mama Sisulu, a true South African legend whose courageous spirit under immense pressure helped forge our new nation. She and husband Walter Sisulu (pictured) were senior ANC leaders during the fight against apartheid, and were also renowned for the deep and abiding love they shared. Mama Sisulu passed away on Thursday night aged 92, may she rest in peace. These are a few of her more famous sayings:
"If people don't know what they are fighting for it's useless."
"We must educate our women because often they suffer the most - and their children with them ... if we all knew what was really important, we would just need to shout once."
"Women are the people who are going to relieve us from all this oppression and depression"
"It is the women who are on the street committees educating the people to stand up and protect each other" Albertina
"Over the years I got used to prison, banning and detention. I did not mind going to jail myself and I had to learn to cope without Walter. But when my children went to jail, I felt that the (oppressors) were breaking me at the knees."
-Nontsikelelo Albertina Sisulu